Do not obsess with finding the perfect location for your accommodation in London’s downtown likehotels in Oxford Circus or Picadilly Circus – London is a big city, with the tourist attractions and points of interest distributed all over. No matter where your hotel or hotel is located in London, not all sights will be walking distance.
• Invest in a hop-on, hop-off bus service. London being a big city, it is advised to take one of this bus tours the first day and get an overview of the city. Choose the ones that last 24 hours and us it in two half days (one afternoon and the following morning).
• Buy a transportation card, it will pay off! Choose the most appropriate depending on the length of your staying. Avoid the ones for tourists and go for an Oyster Card, as the locals do.
• Try the fish and chips. It is the most typical meal in London, full of proteins and calories. Perfect to keep you going while sightseeing in London or to re-energize you after a whole day of tourism in London.
• Stay in apartments rather than hotels. Camden Town apartments are a good option due to their central location and affordability, great value for your money.
• Go for the thematic walking tours: You cannot see it all in a walking tour, so choose the one that best suits your interests. There are walking tours specialized in The Beatles, in ghost stories, in downtown London, and many more. In addition, buy a pass or combined tickets for attractions. Probably better to “do your homework” in advance, visiting the websites, choosing the attractions you want to visit and planning ahead. You will save both time and money.
• Take a guided boat tour on the River Thames. Guides are funny and entertaining, tours are mostly English only (so there’s no time wasted on translations), and it is a good way to see the city from a different perspective.
• For a great view of the city, go to the London Eye. It is pricey, and you share your compartment with strangers, but the views are amazing!
• Try the beers. Bar hopping early in the evening will be enough for you to try the different beers and see how heavy drinkers Englishmen can be. Do not try to drink at their pace, remember you still need to get back to your hostel or hotel in London.
• Visit Madame Tussauds wax museum. It may also be present in other cities in the world, but it is in London where it first started. You will have lots of fun taking pictures. This is a private museum but also remember: all state-owned museums in London have free admission, so you can pay a visit to them as well. We advise you not to miss the British and the Tate Modern.